I was planning an Easter/spring photo session with a mom for her little boy and one of the things she liked are the rag banners you see all over Pinterest. Since I have tons of material in the basement I decided to dig around and see what what I might have that would work.
I wanted it to work for boy or girl and I wanted it to have colorful easter egg type colors.
In the basement I found 2 different floral prints that had many colors in them I also had pink/white gingham and purple gingham. So I planned a trip to Walmart, I was wanting to get some yellow, green and turquoise.
I found some fat quarters and chose a pretty yellow, turquoise and green.
What happened next wasn't specific or scientific.
I took the four materials I had at home and cut pieces of each the same size as the fat quarters. Next I sat on the couch watching tv and tore all the strips. I don't have a rotary cutter so I just snipped the material about every inch and then started tearing.
I am sure this is much easier with a rotary cutter and if I ever make another one I will be buying one.
I cut a heavy duty piece of ribbon trim and that is what I tied the strips on to. I decided I wanted the banner to be full so I tore a lot of strips and tied them quite close together. From start to finish this took me almost 3 hours.
When I got done I had some strings I needed to trim due to the tearing of the strips but I absolutely loved it and I loved that it was a little on the "raggedy" side as opposed to being precise.