Saturday, June 26, 2010

Don't Pay for Chicken Broth...Make Your Own!


Each one of these containers hold 2 cups of homemade chicken broth/stock and  I have 2 more in the freezer.  I try to keep at least 6 on hand.  I use chicken broth often when cooking rice or lentils and when fall rolls around I will use it in soups and stews.

I really hate to pay for something that I can get for free all the time.  We eat a lot of chicken.  I often cook whole chickens in the crockpot or I do whole cut up chicken in the crock so I can shred the meat.  Once the meat has been cooked and eaten you still have something very valuable.  

I either take the whole carcass or if it was a whole cut up chicken I just take all the leftover stuff and put it in the crockpot.  I add water until it is about 1 inch from the top.  I then add pepper, garlic powder and onion powder,  I do not measure I just shake it in good.  :)  Then I let it all cook on low for about 8-10 hours. 

When everything is done cooking down I strain off all the liquid and toss all the leftover bones, skin and such.  I then measure 2 cup portions into my freezable containers and stick them in the freezer.  

If I know we are having something that I need chicken broth for dinner then I just pull it out of the freezer to thaw.  By the way, this chicken broth tastes so much better than the canned stuff.

2 comments:

  1. I love your project and would love to have you link this up at my Creative Link Share Party over at Trendy Treehouse

    http://thetrendytreehouse.blogspot.com/2010/06/creative-share-blog-hop_29.html

    Hope your having a great week. Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the invitation Tara!

    ReplyDelete