Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Homemade Ketchup

I have been wanting to make the switch to Ketchup with no High Fructose Corn Syrup but it is so expensive.  We have switched our bread and buns and I do my very best to buy very little with HFCS but the ketchup I have just not managed to do.  Everytime I go to Kroger and see the teeny tiny bottles that are $5+ I cringe.  I know my family will go through it so fast.

I live in an area where we have Kroger, Aldi, Walmart, Target and Sav A Lot.  Our stores have the smallest organic/health food sections ever and there is very little variety.  So sometimes it can be very difficult when trying to make some healthy changes.

Last weekend I was just seaching through RecipeZaar looking under "healthy" recipes and I came across Healthy Ketchup!

So this weekend I made it.

I did not find the demerera sugar so I just used organic sugar.

4 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste ($2)
2 cups water
3/4 cup vinegar (12cents)
7 tablespoons Organic Sugar (35cents)
1 teaspoon onion powder (4cents)
4 teaspoons salt (6cents)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (2cents) 

Place tomato paste in pan and stir till smooth. Add water little bit at a time while stirring. Add vinegar same way. Add remaining ingredients and stir over low heat till simmering. Place into old bottles and cool. Store in fridge.

This was super simple to make and didn't take very long at all.  It made a total of 38 ounces and it only cost me $2.59!!  How is that for frugal?

But how did it taste?

That night I made Scrambled Eggs with Kielbasa and Baked Homemade Hasbrowns for dinner.  We tested out our new Ketchup and it was a hit.  It tastes just like Ketchup however it tastes better.

This is definitely how we will be doing ketchup from now on.



19 comments:

  1. Do you know what the shelf life is? I've been thinking about making ketchup too, but I worry that I'll have to make tiny quantities every time because, well, I just don't eat that much ketchup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following! I'm following you back!

    I'm defintely going to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, That I am not sure of. I know that my family will go through this fairly quickly.

    I have read that it can be frozen however I haven't tried that. My mom told me yesterday she used to make it when we were kids and freeze it.

    I have been searching online to see if I can find the shelf life in the fridge and I am reading anywhere from 4 weeks to a few months.

    You could probably easily halve the recipe and make only 19 ounces instead of 38.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following you back! Thanks! Also following on Twitter @TweePoppets! :)

    http://tweepoppets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this would be neat to try. Thanks for the recipe. I'm a little behind but following you from FMBT: http://angiewith2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Thanks for sharing...can I come to dinner sometime? That last pic looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homemade ketchup is so much better. I have made it before...this recipe is a little different than mine...my kids might like it better! Off to check out that pear bread recipe down there! I am a new follower.
    Holly
    504 Main

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ketchup is one of the best inventions...ever...great recipe!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner?
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. How long does it last in the fridge by the way?

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner?
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. TweePoppets and Angie, Thanks!

    My Husband's Watching tv....come by anytime! ;)

    Holly we are really enjoying it. I stopped by your blog and followed you however I couldn't leave a comment. I will check back later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ma What's For Dinner, I am not positive. This will be a learning experience. I have read 4 weeks up to almost as long as store bought ketchup.

    The key to making it last longer seemed to be the same on every site. Keeping it in some type of tightly sealed container and in your cold refrigerator when not in use.

    I have also read yo can freeze it but haven't tried it.

    I will update down the road and let everyone know how long our ketchup lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! I just posted it on my site with a link back here. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome!WOW!Hello! What a wonderful blog! I found you on Trendy Treehouse FMF. I am your newest follower. Please check out my blog when you can. I woould love for you to follow me. I have 4 really great giveaways right now. And lots of posts on great deals and freebies. Have a great day!~Heather http://livingonloveandcents.blogspot.com/2010/06/friday-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is fantastic! :). I love ketchup and seem to eat it on everything! Ha! Thanks for sharing!

    I found you through "Follow Friday"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please do let us know how long it keeps. I would love to try it but we don't use a lot of ketchup. Freezing sounds like a pain and a half; I doubt my husband would be a fan. And if I can't get him on board it's a losing battle...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wanted to make my own HFCS free ketchup but all the recipes called for 7 pounds of tomatoes and took days to cook down. We'd never eat that much ketchup! I never thought of freezing it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I visited Russia, each brand of ketchup had about 6 different varieties- garlic/onion, bell pepper, orange rind, etc (all in tomato ketchup). move over, Heinz! I think I'll play with this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. we have access to lots of organic stores but the price is still higher for some stuff. we have stopped hfcs and most trans fat so this recipe looks perfect. we dont use that much ketchup either so i will cook it really hot and just can it in jelly jars. thanks for another great recipe! jodie

    ReplyDelete