Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Kitchen Redo $200 Budget: Pt. 6 Starting Over

It has been almost a month since the last time I updated about my Kitchen on my other blog.  After determining that I really didn't like how my kitchen was turning out my inspiration left me.

Here are the cabinets we weren't so happy with when I last posted.

Well guess what... at the moment they are still this lovely orange. I went out and bought my gallon of Behr Silver Dust and I painted the first coat on the walls and then I didn't touch the walls again until yesterday.  I just couldn't seem to get myself motivated to start working again.


Not only was my motivation gone but I was pretty upset that I had already spent $88 which was basically now wasted.  I initially decided to start the $200 budget over then I decided I would stay with the $200 and hopefully not go over too much. So I guess we will see if I can make that happen.


As you can see I got the new wall color up and it is almost white.  However it does have silvery/grey undertones and in certain lighting you can definitely tell it.

So today I was sitting around thinking about all the money I have already spent, $111 to date, and I started rummaging through all the paint and supplies I have from other projects.  Even though I had planned to go with pale greens and greys to finish up the kitchen I thought maybe I could save some money.

So I found 1/2 a gallon of Valspar that was my first bathroom color that was too pale.  I then mixed it with about 1/4 of a gallon of my new bathroom color and 1/4 gallon of white.  Oddly enough this new mixture almost perfectly matches Behr Porcelain Blue.

I painted just one door so I could really think about it and then let my hubby check it out.  It does need one more coat but here is my newly painted door.


I really like it and so does my husband so I will be painting everything that I did in the Sweet Carrot this new blue color.  Yay for a free gallon of paint!!  After this I will be going back to my original list of what I need to do in the kitchen.

Painting the cabinets
Painting the counter tops and backsplash with the new counter top paint
Painting the linoleum floor (yes this works I have been reading up on it :) )
Painting and reusing all the hardware
Painting an old farm table and my small pantry cabinet
Painting my fridge to match my stove with appliance paint


I have a lot of trim work and cabinets to do in this new blue color and I will update with pics as soon as I am done.  If you haven't read the posts that got me here you can check them out now.






6 comments:

  1. Your new blue hue is a winner! I looked at your orange cabinets and thought that if it was a rental and I had to live with it, I would go really bold with black, white and silver. Yeah, Halloween, I know, but if it was a "have to live with it" kind of a deal it would be kind of fun to make it work. You are a clever gal, your blue looks great. Don't lose heart, you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when my projects don't turn out how I visualize them too! It's so discouraging. But I LOVE that you turned it around and created your own new blue color! It looks great. Very bright and cheery! Good luck with the rest of your transformations - I'm sure the end product will be well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blue! Good choice and great way to save some $$$.

    I would love for you to visit my blog for a fun giveaway! alittleknickknack.blogspot.com. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ann! When I first picked out the orange it looked great on the Behr brochure....just not so much in my kitchen. LOL

    Jen..Thanks! I am really loving it and trying to get the orange covered quickly now. Feeling the inspiration starting to come back.

    Thanks Meg...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely loooove the blue! It reminds me of Robin's Egg...but not! haha!

    And I wanted to let you know that I've passed an award on to you for being a Versatile Blogger! Yay! :) Here's the link to my lastest post where you can claim your award! :)

    http://wendyandadam.blogspot.com/2010/07/we-just-got-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Friday! You have a really great blog here!

    I'm your newest follower...if you get a chance could you please follow me too at http://www.mommylivingthelifeofriley.com

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete