Saturday, June 19, 2010

Kiwi Banana Bread


Last weekend I was baking some snacks for the week.  I started with Pear Bread which everyone loved.  It came out so good and those delicious 14 slices were gone before the weekend was out.

I had already planned on making a Peach bread with fresh peaches however I was looking in the fruit bowl and there were 4 very sad overly ripe kiwi.  They were too ripe for anyone to eat them by themselves so I figured I would do some searching on RecipeZaar.  I found this recipe for Kiwi Quick Bread and I spent a few minutes reading through the comments.  Many people stated that it was good it just needed something extra.  

This is my version:

  1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 applesauce**
2/3 cup organic sugar
2 eggs
4 peeled and mashed Kiwi
1 medium size Banana Mashed
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 X 5 X 3 loaf pan. Sift together flour, baking powder baking soda and salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and set aside. In large bowl mix applesauce and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time to mixture beating well after each one. Stir in kiwis and banana. Fold in dry ingredients gently, stirring only until batter is completely moistened. Spoon batter into pan and bake for 55-65 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack. Remove from pan and continue cooling on rack.
The original recipe states that it is 10 servings however I cut it into 14 slices. 
This bread turned out very good and it was eaten pretty quickly however everyone loved the Pear Bread more.  I will definitely make the kiwi bread again.  Next time I may add more Kiwi and another banana to make it a little more fruity.

**Note:  I always make it a point to substitute butter or oil with applesauce in my baking.  Not only does it cut down on the fat and calories but it adds more fruit to the recipe.  I purchase Mott's Natural applesauce that does not have High Fructose Corn Syrup in it.

Linked to: Tatertots and Jello, A Vision to Remember

4 comments:

  1. Wow, it sounds delicious! I think I'm going to have to go buy some kiwis just so they'll get a little ripe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful. I'm always looking for new loaf recipes. Thank you! I'm visiting from CMOS, hope you visit me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love banana bread, never thought to add kiwi. Sounds delicious!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and I'm following you back :0)

    Rachel
    www.sewambitious.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! :) Now this is a unique bread! I never know what to do with kiwis and this has got me thinking.

    BTW, thanks for visiting me on Monday. The Google Gremlins kept us from being friends though. Hope you can stop by and try to follow Jake and me again. We'd love to see you around. :)

    Enjoy the weekend!

    Alison

    http://welcomesunshinehome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete