Monday, June 14, 2010

A New Summer Bag

Today I was digging through some old bags of clothing seeing if I thought there was anything at all that could be used.  I found an armful of items among them were the bright floral skort and the plaid belt that went to another skirt.


My oldest daughter Emeri saw these pieces and asked if I would make a summer bag for her.  Back in January I had made her a Plaid Bag to carry her gym clothes in.  She has carried that bag alot! 

I started below by cutting along the seams where the crotch had been sewn to make the shorts.  This skort was the kind that was shorts and only had the flap across the front giving the appearance of a skirt.



Next I stitched up both sides of the crotch to make it look like a skirt.

Once I had it looking like a skirt I closed the front flap and buttoned it.  Then  I turned it inside out and stitched up the bottom about 3 inches.  I also stitched up both sides about 2 inches just to make it a little smaller.  

Emeri wanted the bag to be big but she is not very big herself (5') and I didn't want her to look like it was swallowing her.  She didn't care....the bigger the better.



I double stitched all the inside seams because I am sure she will be filling it up and it needs to be strong.

Next I took the plaid belt and removed the metal pieces.  I stitched it on either side of the bag to make a shoulder strap.  Then I decided I wanted to do something to hold it closed but I didn't have anymore of either of these materials but I found a pink plaid.   I used it to make a strap coming from the back center of the bag and it runs through another strap connected to the front center of the bag with the plaid belts metal hardware.



She loves it and her friend that was over today really liked it too.  She was wanting one herself so I may have to find another funky skort to make her a bag.  This one went together super fast since I had made the previous one a few months ago.  I have a feeling there will be more funky bags in my future.  :)

Linked to: All Thingz Related, Life in My PJs, Today's Creative Blog and Creative Itch

8 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm stopping by from the All Thingz Related party. This bag is super cute and I love the repurposing. So creative!

    Enjoy the week! :)

    Alison

    http://welcomesunshinehome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it! Great job!
    Thanks for sharing @ Anything Related No.11!
    {Rebekah}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love it if you would join me for my 2nd linky party tonight!!

    http://lifeinmypjs.blogspot.com/2010/06/pajama-party-2.html

    ~Ela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! Look at you Mrs. McCrafty!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amber: Thanks for the comment on my dad shirt to dress! I love the bag! A bag is not something I've thought about using old clothes for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute repurposing project!! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute bag!

    Thanks so much for linking up to Pajama Party at Life In My Pjs!!

    ~Ela

    ReplyDelete