Thursday, June 24, 2010

Toddler Skirt and Purse

I decided to make a skirt for my niece and I wanted to use up some leftover material I had laying around.  I had three different materials to use and I had an envelope as my pattern.  I cut 6 strips of each material using the envelope as a guide.  Then I cut one strip that was 25" X 3".

(I was using measurement for a size 2)


Next I sewed the strips together one after the next alternating the pattern.


Once all the strips were sewn together I gathered the top of the skirt all the way across.


I then pinned one side of the waist band to the gathered part of the skirt and sewed them together.


Next I folded the waistband in half and ironed it.  I then stitched it all the way across in order to make a casing for the elastic. (I ended up with a 21" waist)


After I inserted the elastic in the casing I sewed the end tightly and then stitched up the casing opening.  At this point I also stitched up the side of the skirt which had been open all this time.

Finally I pinned and ironed a hem around the bottom of the skirt and then sewed the hem.


Here is the finished skirt with a little purse I quickly put together.  My niece is almost 2 and she has fallen in love with purses.


4 comments:

  1. You made that look easy and fun to make. Very cute! I love it! Thank you for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SOOOOO ADORABLE! I love it! I would love it if you would link up to it on this week's Sharing Time Link Up!
    http://heathernow.blogspot.com/2010/06/sharing-time_27.html
    Hope you have a great week!
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute. And what toddler doesn't need a matching purse? =)

    ReplyDelete