Saturday, June 12, 2010

What's For Dinner? Cheesy Chicken Bake

This is a healthier take on something my husband started making when I was pregnant with our first daughter 15 years ago.

I was on bedrest for quite a while so Gary would cook this up for us often.  He would broil 2 large chicken breasts, skin on and bone in.  Once they were cooked he would shred up all the meat and I am pretty sure I wanted the crispy skin.  :)
He would cook up a mess of noodles the layer it in a 9 x 13 pan.  Noodles, shredded chicken, noodles, shredded chicken and cheese once more.  We never used any less than a whole bag of shredded cheese and this was for the 2 of us.  It was soooo yummy!!  I loved it and him for cooking it for me.

Now I make it just a little different however the family still loves it.  

What's for Dinner tonight....Cheesy Chicken Bake

Here is what I used:  (these amounts feed our family of 4 with no leftovers)

1 very lg chicken breast (no skin or bone)
1 cup shredded cheese
4 cups rotini cooked al dente
2 TBS. Canola Oil
1 can diced tomatoes
pepper, salt, garlic and onion powder to taste
I diced up the chicken breast and sauteed it in the canola oil until it was no longer pink.  I added the can of diced tomatoes, juice and all, to the cooked rotini.  When the chicken was done I added it to the warm pasta.  I added pepper, salt, garlic and onion powder to our likings.  We like a lot of pepper and garlic.  I added half a cup of the cheese and then I mixed everything well.  I poured it into a greased (cooking spray) 9 x 13 pan.  I then sprinkled on the last 1/2 cup of the cheese.  I put it in a 375 oven for about 15 minutes or until it is getting bubbly.  

It turned out great! Everyone loves it and we will eat it again sometime.  I also like to make it with broccoli instead of tomatoes.  It just depends on what we have on hand.  I served it with corn and it was a perfect easy Saturday dinner.

Linked to: I Heart Naptime

3 comments:

  1. i do this recipe with one block of velveeta and 2 cans of rotel with 2 chicken breast. just melt cheese and rotel and pour over 2 pounds of spag noodles. no baking needed. something about pasta and gooey cheese. so yummy! jodie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Rotel and would have used it if I had it, I had to just deal with regular tomatoes. Would love to use the Velveeta but this is our "diet" version. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheese? Gooood. Chicken? Gooood. Im totally making it for my husband next week =) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete