Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Healthy Banana Muffins


I know these don't actually look like muffins however I learned very early on that when I bake something like this we are lucky if it makes it through a day or two.  If they turn out really good they may not make it through the night! ;)

Anyway, I got very tired of taking the time to fill all the cups to make the muffins and the moment they are cool the kids (and hubby) eat them all.  So I just started making them in an 8X8 pan and then I cut them in 16 squares.  Works for me.

  • 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup Organic Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 cup Organic Sugar
  • 2 mashed ripe bananas
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  1. Combine flour, soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
  2. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine applesauce, eggs, sugars, ,mashed bananas and vanilla.
  3. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
  4. Spoon mixture into greased 8X8 pan or you can use a muffin tin
  5. Bake at 375 for 20 - 25 minutes (I am sure the time will be less for muffins.  Cool and then cut into squares.

This is a pretty thick batter and it does make a more dense muffin.  They are very yummy not too sweet and good for my family. 


4 comments:

  1. Great recipe and great idea to cut them into squares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from NFF!
    This looks delicious! I'm gonna show to the hubby..he's the cook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I am new friend from New Friend Fridays at The Girl Creative or The Trendy Treehouse. I am going to try these even though I don't much like my bananas in anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! When I see healthy and muffins in the same sentence, it calls my name! These look so good!

    ReplyDelete