Monday, August 30, 2010

Broccoli, Steak and Rice in the Crockpot

I had a package of Steaks that I got dirt cheap at Kroger a while back.  I am not the best at cooking steak unless it goes on the grill.  So I thought I would do something a little similar to this.

There were 4 steaks that equaled 2lbs.  I added them frozen to the crockpot.  I chopped up 2 small onions, sprinkled with garlic powder and a little worcestershire sauce.

I cooked on high for the first hour until the steaks were mostly thawed and I could seperate them.  The made a decent amount of their own juice so I didn't add any liquid.  I turned the crockpot down to low and cooked for 6 more hours.  At this point I was able to start shredded the meat some but not completely.

I added a bag of frozen broccoli and 1/2 cup rice, making sure to get the rice down in the liquid at the bottom.  I did however end up adding about a 1/2 - 3/4 cup water.

At this point the kids were home so I kinda lost track of how much longer I cooked it.   However I am pretty sure it was around another hour to hour and a half on low.  Just until the the rice was soft and I was able to finish shredding the meat.


It turned out so good!  The meat tasted very much like a beef pot roast.  Next time I will do it with potatoes and carrots and it really will be almost just like a pot roast.

Linked to: Balancing Beauty and Bedlam, The Thrifty Home, Fireflies and Jellybeans

No comments:

Post a Comment