Monday we did a lot of nothing! We just hung out around the house and watched a movie or two. That afternoon we were wanting a sweet treat and I was wanting to use what we had on hand. So I found this recipe for Buttery Cinnamon Cake and it hit the spot! I will warn you know this is not low cal at all.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/3 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. Stir together the flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening, 1 1/3 cups white sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating for at least 1 minute after each egg. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Remove cake from pan while it is still warm, and poke holes around the top of the cake with a fork. Pour the warm cinnamon syrup into the holes and onto the top and sides of the cake.
- To Make Cinnamon Syrup: In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup white sugar, butter, water, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon. Heat and stir until butter melts.
My only change was to sub butter for the shortening and I used a 9X13 pan instead of the bundt pan. It only took about 30-35 minutes in the 9X13.
After the cake was already in the oven I read the suggestions on the recipe site about adding more cinnamon to the cake and the syrup, next time I will do that.