Thursday, September 30, 2010

Kitchen Redo $200 Budget Pt. 8 :Painting Kitchen Countertops

I was seriously beginning to wonder if I was ever going to work on my kitchen again.  It has been two months and I have been looking at a partially done kitchen all that time.

Over the last couple years we have very very slowly been paying off some debt, not real serious about it but chipping things away here and there.  Well this summer we decided we are tired of dragging it on, we want to be done with debt.  We cut up our credit cards and started paying some big payments every payday.  Now we don't have an outrageous amount of debt but trust me when I say we have enough that will take us a little while to pay off.  Our goal is to pay off everything including our car then start doubling house payments.

Anyway, when we made this decision the kitchen work halted because we just didn't want to spend any money that we didn't have too.  In 2 months we have made some good progress but looking at my partially done kitchen was starting to get the best of me.

So on Tuesday while shopping with my Mom she gave me my birthday money early!! Yay!  So I took that $100 and went straight to Home Depot.  So the kitchen project begins once again.





 When I left you last time I had just painted a lot of blue.  All the orange was covered up and I was really pleased.  It looked just like this until yesterday!  

My total spent at this point was $111, so I will just save the suspense and let you know that I will be going over the $200 budget just a teeny bit.  All I can say is that this project has been one long mishap after another.  LOL  Talk about learning some lessons along the way.



I bought the Rust-Oleum Countertop Paint in Pewter.   It cost $20 which brings me to $131.  This stuff is really pretty cool.  First of all make sure you can really ventilate the area you are working in.  Imagine a strong nail polish times about 100!!  This stuff stinks sooooo bad!

 It went on pretty easily my only problem is that I can't leave well enough alone.  After 2 coats I had a couple areas we some very minor imperfections that you couldn't see unless you were right up on them.  I however kept trying to fix them only making matters a little worse.  When will I ever learn?! :)
So there are a few imperfections but they really truly are not noticeable unless you are just on top of them so I figure for $20 this will work until we can afford to actually gut the kitchen.



I tried taking so many pictures.  This stuff has a light sheen that is not really noticeable until a bright flash hits it.  I tried taking pics without the flash and they were so dark you couldn't really tell anything.  So when you are looking at the pic just imagine that the backsplash isn't so shiny.  LOL
So the coutertop has to cure for 3 days before I can put anything back on it.  So I won't be doing anymore kitchen work until at least Monday.   I think my next step needs to be the Refrigerator,  I already have the supplies, it's just figuring out the best way to do it.  



For the Refrigerator I am using Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy.  My Grandparents used this on their refrigerator and it looks like it was made that way.  We will see how it turns out for me.  
If you haven't read the posts that got me here you can check them out now.
Pt. 1 Wall Primer
Pt. 2 Wall Color
Pt. 3 Trim Work
Pt. 4 More Trim
Pt. 5 Admitting Defeat
Pt. 6 Starting Over 

2 comments:

  1. I'm bookmarking this great post b/c I've been looking at this countertop paint and wondering... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie I did some searching online before hand and read a lot of great reviews about it. My biggest recommendation: don't try to over perfect it!! ;)

    Amber

    ReplyDelete