Thursday, October 28, 2010

Hearty Sausage and Spinach Soup

Yesterday was a nice chilly fall day so I decided to make a nice hearty soup. This was a new recipe of course I changed it a bit to fit what I had on hand.

Hearty Sausage and Spinach Soup; adapted from Jackie's Sausage Soup

 I started by browning 1/2 lb of ground hot sausage.  I got this on markdown at Kroger and it is made by a local butcher.

Because this sausage has plenty of added spice I opted to leave out the extra spice called for in the recipe including the onions and peppers.

After browning I opted to leave the sausage grease in the pan instead of draining.

In this second picture you can definitely see the glistening sheen of the sausage grease!

Next I added 2 cups of homemade chicken stock as well as 2 cans of Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Garlic, Basil and Oregano.

Next came a box of Green Giant Chopped Spinach that I had thawed and drained.



The only way I can get my family to eat spinach is when it is cooked into something yummy or if it is raw baby spinach.  No one in this house likes your basic cooked spinach.


At this point I added a few cups of water to bring the liquid up much higher in the pot.






Since I didn't have Orzo I contemplated for a bit on what to replace it with.  At first I thought I would use another small pasta, then I thought about replacing it with rice however my final decision was to replace it with 2 cans of black beans rinsed and drained.

I turned the temperature to low and simmered for about 3 hours.




We ate it with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of shredded cheese mixed in.  We also had nice warm biscuits.  

Everyone enjoyed it, you honestly could not even taste the spinach flavor.  It was very hearty and it fed us for dinner with enough leftover for a couple lunches.


You can check out the original recipe here.  I am sure it would be delicious as is.  Plus if you check out the reviews there are several other adapatations to this recipe.






Linked to: Finding Fabulous, A Vision to Remember, Tatertots and Jello, Sumo's Sweet Stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment