Thankfully I do not have to cook a big Turkey Dinner, I only have to bring a couple side dishes to my Aunts house. However I thought over the next couple weeks I would share with you some favorite Thanksgiving Dinner recipes.
Roast Turkey with Herbal Rub
1 13-Pound WHOLE TURKEY fresh or thawed
1 Medium onion quartered
1 lemon quartered
1/4 Cup vegetable oil
1 Teaspoon dried thyme
1 Teaspoon dried tarragon
1 Tablespoon dried rosemary
1 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey and reserve for broth.
- Rinse turkey with cold running water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place onion and lemon quarters inneck and body cavities.
- In a small bowl, mix oil with herbs, salt and pepper.
- With your finger tips, gently loosen skin from the breast without pulling off the skin.
- Place 1 tablespoon of herb mixture under skin; replace skin.
- Rub cavities and outside of turkey with remaining herb mixture.
- Secure the neck skin to the back with skewers.
- Fold wings under back of turkey. Place legs in tucked position.
- May be prepared to this point, covered and refrigerated for several hours.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large shallow (no more than 2-1/2 inches) deep roasting pan.
- Insert an oven-safe thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, being careful it does not touch the bone.
- Cover bird with a loose tent of foil. Roast turkey in a preheated 325 degree F. oven for about 2-1/2 hours.
- Remove foil and baste bird with pan juices. Continue to roast for about another hour until meat thermometer registers 180 degrees F. in the thigh.
- Remove turkey from oven and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving.
- Transfer to a large platter and serve with gravy.
Linked to: Fireflies and Jellybeans, Keeping it Simple