Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Frugal Tip #4: Adding Homemade Soup to Your Menu

This one only works for us for part of the year.  As the long as the temperature outside is 50 or below I can add a soup/stew/gumbo to our weekly menu plan.

Right now cold weather is in full swing so we will have some type of soup, stew, gumbo or chili once a week.  Homemade soups can be so easy and very inexpenisive.  Sometimes I use a recipe and other times I just toss in things that we have left over.  Like meat, veggies, beans or rice.

Soup is one of the ways we are able to cut back on meat.


The particular soup above I made a couple weeks ago.  It was just one of those "toss some things together" kind of soups.


2 Cups of Homemade Chicken Stock (free)
2 Cans black beans rinsed and drained ($1.20)
1 can of diced tomatoes (49cents)
1 bag frozen corn (50cents)
1 pkg Old El Paso Beans and rice mix (50cents)
garlic powder, onion powder, pepper
Water to cover

I simply put this all on the stove and simmered for about an hour and a half.  Served with a sprinkle of cheese on top.

The entire pot cost only $2.69,  we used about 1/2 a package of shredded cheese which cost me $1.50 for the entire package.   I served it with corn bread that cost me 50cents for the package.

Dinner for 4 came to a grand total of $3.94 plus there was enough left over that I ate this for lunch the next two days.

Here are a few soups/stews that we enjoy:
Leak and Potato Soup
Potato and Broccoli Soup
Healthier Cheeseburger Soup
Hearty Chicken and Rice Stew
Mexican Soup


What is your favorite homemade soup/stew/gumbo?  Leave a comment and a link if you have one.  :)

Linked to: A Thrifty Home , We are That Family, Trendy Treehouse


2 comments:

  1. Hi~ stumbled on this recipe from Trendy Treehouse! I made a soup last week, spur of the moment, and it turned out to taste like Minestrone. I sauteed a little olive oil, onions & garlic (just a rough chop/dice/however you like to slice 'em!) until they were cooked enough. Then I added the smallest possible dash of red wine ~ just a hint of it (but this ingredient could totally be left out and I don't think it would make a difference to the soup). Then some chicken broth & vegetable broth (I had a bit leftover from another soup I made), salt, pepper, basil and oregano. I might have also thrown in a little garlic powder and onion powder, for an extra bit of flavor. I added most of a bag of mixed veggies and a couple small handfuls of twisty noodles. I added a small can of tomato paste. I let it boil up and cook for a bit. And I finished it off with just the tiniest bit of cream (probably less than the amount of red wine I added) ~ not enough to change the color at all, just enough to add a bit of rich. I think parmesan or another hard cheese would taste good on top! :)

    On-The-Fly-Minestrone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg that sounds so hearty and delicious! Perfect for a cold day like today. Some of the best soups/stews/etc. are on the fly with left over ingredients. :)

    Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete