Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Whole Crockpot Chicken





One of my families favorite meals starts with a Whole Crockpot Chicken.

When I can find whole chickens for 99cent/lb or less I try to grab a couple that are around 4 or 5 lbs.  I like to keep several of these on hand in the deep freezer.

Sometimes I do cook one and then shred all the meat so that it can be used for sandwiches, burritos, pasta, soup or some other recipe.  However the favorite in this house is to serve the chicken meat as the main dish along with a couple side dishes.  If I make a 5lb chicken my girls will devour all the meat before the night is over.

So how do I make my crockpot chicken?

I take a 4-5lb bird that has been thawed and lay it in my oblong shaped crockpot.  I take out some salad dressing we have on hand and drizzle it over the top of the chicken.  Dressings that I have used include Italian, Vinagrette, and variations of Italian and Vinagrette (ie.  Italian with Parmasean, Balsamic Vinagrette, etc.).  I imagine there are other dressings that would taste good these are just the dressings we tend to use.

For my crockpot I cook on low for 7 to 7 1/2 hrs.  My older crockpot I had to cook 8+ hrs so I suggest that you check on your chicken around the 7+ hr mark.

After we enjoy our delicious chicken I make some homemade chicken broth to stock up in the freezer.

Linked to: Blue Cricket Design, Nikkis Nifty Knacks, Balancing Beauty and Bedlam

4 comments:

  1. What a great tip! I found your blog thru Trendy Treehouse, commented on that post and am now cruising around checking out some of the others you have posted! I'm totally doing this! And asking for a deep freezer for my anniversary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, I love my deep freezer. We got an awesome deal on a huge upright at Lowe's. It was in there scratch and dent section because there were a few scratches on the white enamel so we got it for the same price as the teeniest upright they had in stock. (ours was the biggest size they had instock) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. On my second crockpot chicken today! Thanks for the excellent tip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it worked for you Meg! :)

    ReplyDelete