Friday, January 14, 2011

Frugal Tip Friday: Picture Frames

*I LOVE to display pictures and create art using picture frames.  However those frames can really get pricey.

*I make it a point to keep my eye out for great clearanced prices on picture frames.  It dosen't matter if the color is not what I am looking for, I can change that.  A little Krylon goes a long way!  ;)

*I have even bought white wood frames that had some paint scratched off that were on clearance for $1 a piece.  I personally liked the roughed up look!

*When you find a great deal buy as many as you need, can afford, or think you may need/want later!

Here is my most recent frame find:

When I was grocery shopping last week I decided to stop in at Kmart and see if they had any Christmas clearance.  The only thing I found were some white 8X10 frames that were part of the "winter" collection marked down to $1.24 a piece.  Since I still hadn't displayed any of the girls pics from their fall photo shoot I knew I better get some frames.

The frames were very hard and through the packaging I thought they were wood.  Then I opened them and thought they were metal at first but finally realized they were solid hard plastic.  I bought 10 because you just never know when you might need one.  :)

I started with 3, took them apart and sprayed the with some Krylon Fusion black gloss that I happened to have around here.  Two coats and they were ready to go. 


After I had the girls pictures made I had printed half a dozen 8X10's but I wasn't sure which ones I was going to use....at least for now.



The wooden 10X13 frames are about 6 or 7 years old and next to the newly painted ones they look faded. 

So next I will take those down and give them a fresh coat of paint.  After that I think I will replace the girls '07 pics that are in them with one of my favorite baby pics of each of them.

I really LOVE the photos I printed from their fall photo shoot!  :)







This one is sitting on top of our 6ft tall entertainment center.


I still have 7 more pictures frames, 2 will be used in my hubby's new office which is coming up soon.  I am working really hard to finish all the painting in there so I can post before and afters.

3 of them will be used so I can display the girls White Christmas pictures.  Where am I going to display them?  Well it is a secret I am not quite ready to tell yet.  You will just have to wait and see!  :)  That will only leave me with 2 more frames.  Hmm, I am already wondering if 10 was enough.......

Linked to: Along for the Ride

Hump Day link Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! Christmas discount for frames? I gotta look into that..I love what you have done:) Nice job:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashley! I never would have guessed it either. I always read about other bloggers finding unique items after different Holiday clearances that you could use anytime. This was the first time I have had that experience.

    ReplyDelete